[TriLUG] running single X apps on a remote box (was Re: Lightweight X Desktop)

Justis Peters jtrilug at indythinker.com
Mon Dec 1 19:36:32 EST 2008

The easiest way to "publish applications a la Citrix" is to use exactly
the technique that bugs you about traditional VNC model and what NX
does. You can launch a very thin X server for each application and don't
bother running a window manager. All you run is the app you're
publishing. If you exit the app, that X session ends. Then, you can
connect to these sessions using VNC. Use a different port or IP address
for each app you publish.

Also, keep in mind that you can tunnel your X server to other boxes
using SSH and forward the port for your local display. Then, anything
you run from the remote box will be displayed on your local X display.
Try running "ssh -X someuser at somebox" and then run "xeyes" from that
box. It will display on your local computer.

Kind regards,
Justis Peters