[TriLUG] Question about hardware

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Tue Dec 2 11:00:12 EST 2008

Amnon wrote:
> One of our web/mail servers is running a 2.6Ghz P4, and is getting kinda slow.
> We use postfix with sqlgrey, clamav, and Dspam for mail processing, and lighttpd
> for web server, along with MySQL.
>
> The question is, will Gentoo utilize an Intel Quadcore hardware with enough
> difference over a dualcore?

In this case since you're running multiple applications that use multiple threads (MySQL, lighttpd,
etc) then yes having more cores/cpus will be beneficial. It's not really a Gentoo question since any
modern operating system will know how to put different programs onto different cores/cpus.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP