[TriLUG] Question about hardware

Amnon amnon at deltaforce.net
Tue Dec 2 11:27:46 EST 2008

> How much ram does this box have?  You may want to watch the box
> through something like "top" to see what is eating up memory/cpu.
> Which may allow you to make decisions on what needs to change, maybe
> you don't need a new box, just some tweaking. Be sure to look at it
> over different periods so that you get an accurate picture of what is
> normal.  Does Dspam use SA rules, if so depending on your rule set,
> you'll chew up memory.   Also things like Clamav being initiated on
> demand versus being contacted in daemon mode, may have effects as well.

Ron has been tweaking it for a few years now :-)  It is mainly incoming email
processing (about 200,000 a day) and more use of PHP based web-sites.  We are
also thinking about moving the email to its own server.  But this machine has
been in place for about three years, and it is time to upgrade it anyway.