[TriLUG] LDAP Authentication Question

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 14:03:19 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Sean Leinart <sleinart at fscarolina.com> wrote:
> At the console we were unable to logon, assuming this is
> due to ldap being offline. I did a bit of research and looked
> at the /etc/nsswith.conf file. In this file all of the authentication
> is set to look at Files first then LDAP. Why then the inability
> for the local root account to login locally.

What version of Linux?  Some versions of linux disable logging
into the root account (i.e. there's no root password).  Alternatively,
the console may not be configured to allow root logins (I used
to know right off hand which configuration option this was, but it
currently escapes me, perhaps someone else can chime in here).

Also, btw, note that the root account should never been in LDAP
in the first place.  That will guarantee that you can check if local
login works, even when ldap is up.  If, however, you do have root
in ldap, try changing the local root password to be different from
the one in ldap.  Then if you can log in with that password, you
know local login is working.

Cheers,
Tanner
--