[TriLUG] New Vista laptop needs Linux

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Tue Dec 16 08:40:16 EST 2008

To All,

Thanks for the input. I have been able to install Ubuntu 8.10. It was
a fairly easy install a few hiccups on the install but mainly mine. I
had a little trouble with the partitioning software within Ubuntu, but
it was my brain not Ubuntu.

Once installed and on the first boot after install, Ubuntu began to
load and then went black screen. I rebooted and started Ubuntu
recovery which eventually presented me with a screen of options, one
of which was to "fix x-windows" ( or some sort of similar wording ). I
selected that and have been up and running since.

I partitioned the drive 50/50 with Vista. Eventually, it will be
changed to 30 percent Vista. Possibly later, Vista will be totally
eliminated.

Now to get wifi working on it and then to do test runs at Libraries,
Panera bread, and any other available free wifi's in Raleigh.

I really appreciate all the input on the live cd issues.

jcj

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 December 2008 12:12:35 am Steve Litt wrote:
>
>> A lot of
>> older Knoppix boot disks, whether for installing or for live distros,
>
> :s/Knoppix/Linux/
>
> SteveT

Jc Jones
Blogs -