[TriLUG] Family home video dvd Question

Shawn Hartsock hartsock at acm.org
Wed Dec 24 21:57:46 EST 2008

More information than you would ever care to know about why you should
be buying spindles of DVD-R for burning the discs you are mailing to
your relatives with old or inexpensive hardware. The short answer is
that DVD-R is inferior but more compatible.

DVD-R's have the widest readability since of the recordable DVD
formats it has existed the longest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R

I usually make a point to burn onto DVD-R when sending a DVD to family
since it is the most likely to be playable. Even then you aren't
guaranteed their player will handle the media and you can ask them to
try different players or computers in their home.

There are other reasons that DVD-R would be more compatible event
though DVD+R is technically superior:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/

/** Shawn.Hartsock http://hartsock.blogspot.com/  //*/