[TriLUG] Family home video dvd Question

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Wed Dec 24 22:28:27 EST 2008

Jarod,

I use primarily +R's for this project. Two different brands of players
will not play them. JVC's model hr-xvc25u and Samsung model V4600c.

I read somewhere that some players key on region and will not play
certain regions dvd's. I examine the Video_ts.ifo file for something
indicating region but was not successful at determine if region
information was added to the file.

jcj

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Jarod Watkins <jarod at jxxtech.net> wrote:
> Did you use DVD +R or -R discs? I know some older players are very picky
> about what type of burnable DVDs they will read. Its even worse for DVD RWs.
>
> James Jones wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I burned some family videotapes to dvd. I used kino to edit the
>> digital video tapes, deeveedee to create the movie iso and k3b to burn
>> the dvd.
>>
>> The DVD's play on multiple dvd players on computers, on most dvd
>> players but some family members have samsung dvd players. The known
>> playable dvd's will not play on the samsung dvd player. On the
>> internal dvd menu screen, it begins to load and immediately goes to
>> stop. No error message on internal screen and only a message on the tv
>> that says "This dvd cannot be played". ( or words to that effect ).
>>
>> My thinking is that the player tests for some message to indicate that
>> it is a commercially made dvd and if it doesn't see that , stops all
>> action.
>>
>> Anyone that knows what is going on give me a clue. And if anyone knows
>> how to make dvds playable on player's that doesn't want to play
>> homemades, please educate me.
>>
>> Thanks.

Jc Jones
Blogs -