[TriLUG] Passwordless SSH

Ron Young ronyoung at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 21:21:29 EST 2009

Sorry Matt,
There is not a /var/log/auth or /var/log/debug file on either machine.

There is nothing about it in the /var/log/messages file on the target
machine that worked (the newer OS version).

There is also nothing in the /var/log/messages about perms on the older
machine (I think).  However, I get hundreds of lines of:

pam_timestamp_check: pam_timestamp: `/' owner UID != 0

followed by pages of:

last message repeated 26 times

in fact there were 27 50 line pages of this message at one point today
between 15:14 yesterday and 14:55 today!!

These I do not understand at all but it seems like the machine thrashes
about pam a lot!

Thoughts?

Ron Young
919-621-9015