[TriLUG] Passwordless SSH

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Mon Jan 5 22:29:08 EST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 9:21 PM, Ron Young wrote:

> Sorry Matt,
> There is not a /var/log/auth or /var/log/debug file on either machine.
>
> There is nothing about it in the /var/log/messages file on the target
> machine that worked (the newer OS version).
>
> There is also nothing in the /var/log/messages about perms on the
> older
> machine (I think).  However, I get hundreds of lines of:
>
> pam_timestamp_check: pam_timestamp: `/' owner UID != 0
>
> followed by pages of:
>
> last message repeated 26 times
>
> in fact there were 27 50 line pages of this message at one point today
> between 15:14 yesterday and 14:55 today!!
>
> These I do not understand at all but it seems like the machine
> thrashes
> about pam a lot!
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ron Young
> 919-621-9015

Off hand it seems like '/' has had it's perms changed.    As listed
here http://tinyurl.com/9wumxj   try 'ls -lnd' and see if user and
group id's are the same and set to root or UID=0   In any case,
normally pam shouldn't whine :)

Weird, I thought Centos had a /var/log/auth or /var/log/auth.log file
that should have had complaints about the perms on your ssh or home dir

Matt P.