[TriLUG] [OT] HD Antenna suggestions, was: TV Tuner Card suggestion

Scott Lambdin lopaki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 17:28:26 EST 2009

Most importantly, read a good installation guide like the Channel Master
one.  Especially the parts about lightning.

BTW - a good place to buy heavy wire:  City Electric

I like my CM 42xx antenna, but if there is lightning in Cuba, I think I pick
it up.

--Scott

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Maxwell Spangler <
maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 09:53 -0500, Brian Henning wrote:
>
> > Thought I'd hijack this thread to see if anyone might have advice on HD
> > antennas.  I just got the converter box (I have an old analog-only TV
> > right now, and dropped TWC a few months ago when they wouldn't let me go
> > straight from one promo deal to another) and I've been trying different
> > antennas and have had somewhat surprising results.  Note: low-profile is
> > a requirement; I don't have room for something I can't mount on the
> > wall.
>
> > So next I'm thinking about trying a $60 amped not-smart antenna.  Should
> > I bother?  It seems my reception (in a ground-floor apartment near
> > Southpoint) is poor all around, but even with a low SNR, more amplitude
> > still means more signal, right?...  until you start to overwhelm the
> > receiver, but one amped antenna shouldn't do that...
>
> The two challenges I see are your location within the triangle and your
> location in a ground level apartment building.
>
> First I'd suggest you visit:
>
> http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
>
> And enter your street information.  That will show you exactly where
> your local broadcasters are located.  Click on the map view and you'll
> see that unfortunately they're on all sides of you, some east, some
> north, some west.  If you lived in the country, you might be able to
> just get a good directional antenna and point it at the triangle.
>
> Four years ago I had a 3rd floor apartment at The Lodge at Southpoint.
> I used one of these:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PHDTV3-Indoor-Amplified-Antenna/dp/B000B58VNM
>
> with mixed results.  It's cheap, amplified and fairly directional, so I
> could move it around to pull in a signal better.
>
> A friend nearby (Woodlake area, south Durham) is using one of these with
> unexpectedly good success.  It's a smaller, simpler design, also
> amplified and rather attractive looking.  Looks better in person than
> the pictures, even.  Were I to be buying a first antenna I'd probably
> try this one first.
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SDV2710-27-Enhanced-Performance/dp/B001JE9G56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231361255&sr=1-1
>
> Your ground floor location is a challenge, and if your downslope from a
> hill.. well, you know the challenges.  For some folks cable or satellite
> are going to be better.
>
> hth.
>
> --
> Maxwell Spangler