[TriLUG] [OT] HD Antenna suggestions, was: TV Tuner Card suggestion

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jan 8 09:48:21 EST 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 12:45:10 pm Neil L. Little wrote:
> Remember, that there is really no difference antenna wise from a regular
> antenna than the HD antennas. The only difference would be that these
> new HD channels will not be using the vhf TV channels any more. HD
> channels use UHF TV channels.

That's not universally true. See this:

http://antennaweb.org/aw/info.aspx?page=FAQ#_Ref28770295

Here in Orlando Florida, WESH TV, channel 2, broadcasts its digital broadcasts
on channel 11, which is VHF. I'm picking up this station quite nicely with a
UHF antenna with its VHF element all the way down, because channel 11 is a
pretty high frequency.

According to http://www.nab.org/AM/ASPCode/DTVStations/DTVStations.asp,
Chicago's WBBM, channel 2, broadcasts its DTV on channel 3, which is quite a
low frequency requiring rather long antenna elements. Channel 3 is below the
FM broadcast band (below 88Mhz).

> Any TV antenna that is able to receive UHF
> TV channels will work.

Check your local stations before making this decision.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US