[TriLUG] Linux Distribution for server Opinions

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Jan 23 08:41:15 EST 2009

Steve Kuekes wrote:
> These are the applications that I'm planning on running on the server.
>
> * DNS
> * Dovecot, postfix, mysql for an IMAP email server for multiple domains
> * Openvpn for secure remote access to our internal network
> * Webmail access to the IMAP server (I'm looking for a good open source
> webmail package, let me know what you think about this too.)
>
> I don't care about GUI management apps like the Fedora system-config-???
> apps as I manage the system from SSH and the command line, mostly.
>
> I've been using Fedora for my other Linux servers, but I'm looking to
> see if there is something that is better.  I've had problems with yum
> getting access to update servers for older versions.  It also seems that

If you want to stay with something you are already familiar with and wnat
better support for older versions, look to RHEL/CentOS - they have a longer
update/support cycle.

I just built a new mail/web server with CentOS5.  We also use CentOS for
a lot of our servers at work (development, wiki, website, etc).  I'm
running Apache, Dovecot, Postfix and MySQL on those.  We use OpenVPN and
DNS, but those are running on our tiny BSD firewall.  However, I know
they are all available for CentOS.

just my 2c
Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services