[TriLUG] Linux for the home user

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 09:54:25 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Jason S. Evans <jason.s.evans at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm currently working for a retail store as a PC Technician and while
> I'm not shy about suggesting Linux for the tech savvy users who come in
> looking to build servers, I find myself hesitant to bring it up at all
> for the regular user who just wants to surf, listen to music, and maybe
> run Quicken.
>
> Is there a distro or maybe a Ubuntu-derivative that is really good for
> the newbie user?

No.  But that's not a slam on Linux.

Your average 'newbie user' is expecting the computer to have a Start button.
Anyone that average 'newbie user' is likely to ask for help (including the
tech support helpline at their ISP, their Internet friend who sends them a
Word doc, the install instructions on the boxed software they want to run,
the instructions for the peripheral they want to attach, etc) is going to
expect the computer to have a Start button as well.

I'm not (heavens forbid) endosring M$ products here, just acknowledging the
reality of their monopoly. I'd even be hesitant to recommend a MacOSX system
to some people, simply because they will likely have a hard time
understanding that unless it specifically says (on the box) it runs under
their particular operating system, it likely does not.

I think the only time I'd recommend linux for a 'newbie user' is those cases
where the OS will be 'embedded' and not treated like a desktop operating
systems. A linux netbook might be a good example, because all the hardware
and software the customer is likely to want is already there.

You could earn browine points as a customer rep by making sure you
understand what your customer wants to use it for, and making sure you can
demonstrate that before your customer buys.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com