[TriLUG] Linux for the home user

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 10:48:58 EST 2009

I also suggest doing a screencast of the most common tasks. Maybe a
screencast wiki exists? I saw this same question on ColaLUG a month or
two ago with no real answers.

Probably the main thing is putting a huge web browser icon right in
the middle of the desktop. Heck, make it autostart!
 The web is the computer for most folks nowadays.

Let us know if you do a good search and find some videos. Here's one
vendor selling some: http://www.ubuntulinuxtrainingvideos.com/
Here are some I did a few years back and are free if worth anything to
you. Some are ogg and others are swf.
http://www.serviza.com/tours/
Here's a short tutorial style book for budding linux users who are
technology professionals or wish to be:
http://www.serviza.com/books/OpenSourceProFC6.pdf
And there's always lots of Linux documentation project info/sites.

Second for Ubuntu. Disagree about newb. I think the Linux Desktop is
far easier for a noob. What's more, configuration and troubleshooting
is so much superior to Windows it is not funny. Ever try supporting a
noob on Windows over the phone? Just shoot me!

FWIW, in 1998 I managed an ISP and 80% of our support time and support
calls were for Windows problems and nothing really to do with Internet
access. We were the only ones who answered the phone.

+1 for Gnucash. Great for personal and small business accounting.

The main issue with Ubuntu is its minimal install. Disks are enormous
nowadays. Load 'em up.

TimJowers