[TriLUG] Ubuntu vs Fedora, was Re: Linux Distribution for server Opinions

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com
Fri Jan 23 11:08:15 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 09:33 -0500, Jim Ray wrote:
> I like Ubuntu because it is so easy to use. They do have a server
> version. I prefer the graphical user interface because the command line
> gives me flashbacks reminiscent of assembly language programming.
> Patching process requires no entitlements or activation noise.

I've been using Redhat/Fedora for a very long time and recently
installed Ubuntu in a virtual machine just to poke around.

I really couldn't tell much of a difference.. So I'm curious from those
of you who have really compared the two: What significant differences
are there?

To me the greatest thing Ubuntu seems to do is fill the holes that used
to be so persistent in stock Debian distributions.  They made Debian
pretty and user friendly.  But Fedora seems to do everything I want and
the only reason I'd be eager to use something else would be something
with long term support for business use..

All comments appreciated, thanks!

--
Maxwell Spangler
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA