[TriLUG] Ubuntu vs Fedora, was Re: Linux Distribution for server Opinions

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:29:27 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Maxwell Spangler
<maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com> wrote:
> I've been using Redhat/Fedora for a very long time and recently
> installed Ubuntu in a virtual machine just to poke around.
>
> I really couldn't tell much of a difference.. So I'm curious from those
> of you who have really compared the two: What significant differences
> are there?

I prefer Ubuntu mostly because I'm comfortable with the layout and the
package manager. I'm a big fan of apt (aptitude), and in my limited
experience w/ managing RPMs and even with yum, I just haven't been as
happy. It really comes down to personal preference and what you first
became comfortable with. I've used Fedora before and with much
success, but given the choice I use Ubuntu.

I will say that I believe Ubuntu is easier to learn how to use for
someone new to Linux. I think it does a nice job of easing you into
the whole idea of Linux, and then also getting out of your way when
you want to start poking around under the hood, compiling kernels, and
using a different window manager.

All that being said, they're both great, and you're right that there
isn't a whole lot of difference, though you'll hear a lot of argument
otherwise.

hth,

Paul