[TriLUG] Ubuntu vs Fedora, was Re: Linux Distribution for server Opinions

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Fri Jan 23 12:31:05 EST 2009

> (also: Red Hat is right here on State campus, and that matters a least a
> little to some state students)

Interestingly, every single Linux user I know at NC State, all of which
are faculty, staff, or graduate student, uses Ubuntu.  Others I've
talked to agreed that the NC State-localized Red Hat Enterprise-based
distribution is much less desirable than stock distributions.

I haven't used Red Hat since version 9 and thought it was a giant
steaming pile of crap.  I hear Fedora is better.  I just haven't tried
it since there hasn't been any compelling reason to look beyond Ubuntu
since I've used it.  I can say that I've never had any dependency issues
on any version of Ubuntu, which was the crippling factor on RH 9.

James

--
James Tuttle