[TriLUG] Linux Distribution for server Opinions

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 16:05:55 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Scott G. Hall <ScottGHall at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> CentOS was a solid performer, though it did take a bit to get it
> installed and setup.  It and FreeBSD fell in the middle of the range
> of criteria.  The various Ubuntu's (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu) all
> were identical (who runs a GUI desktop for a server?), and were right
> behind, but I did have problems with the configuration of several
> packages and a few performance hiccups.

Sounds like you installed the Ubuntu desktop, and not the server
edition. The server edition does not install a GUI environment by
default (though you can install one if you so choose). I'd recommend
giving the server edition a try. The kernel config for the server
edition may help w/ your performance issues on certain hardware.
You'll probably have the same experience w/ package configuration
however.

Paul