[TriLUG] Suggested Router OS? may be OT.

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 11:19:39 EST 2009

> Cisco make a number of "one-box" products that would probably meet your
> requirements... the code is monolithic, but is typically well-optimized, and
> small (updates often fit on a 64MB compactflash--no DVD or multiple CD sets
> here--and can even be loaded over the network with no special distribution
> server).

> We have a number of these devices that have been in production for years, so
> while the initial cost may seem daunting, the TCO is fairly low, especially
> if your time has any value. You can probably find previous-generation but
> serviceable equipment on eBay very inexpensively.

> This is tougue-in-cheek, of course, but seriously, why wouldn't you use a
> router as a router? Do you drive tacks with a jackhammer? Lift your car to
> change a tire with great-stuff expanding foam?

Yeah, this is a great idea, but we are working with a lab that doesn't
spend or "won't" spend
on that sort of thing. We are do Interoperability testing between
legacy and development-level
equipment. It's tough enough to get them to buy their own test bed
equipment, let alone hardware
from another vendor. We have (literally) stacks of servers to use as
routers, at no cost other than
the setup time.