[TriLUG] Suggested Router OS? may be OT.

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Thu Jan 29 17:40:33 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Carl Crider <c.crider at gmail.com> wrote:
>  We've been using CENTOS in our lab environment to set up "pizza box"
> routers. My feeling is that this install is too heavy and I'm looking
> for a new, much lighter solution. We use DHC_relay, tcp_dump, ipv4 & 6
> support, and on some boxes we will install Wireshark for testing. If I
> can't find a "one box" solution today, I may just brew my own router
> project and be done with it. Oh, we are a 95% RPM-based lab, so I'd
> like to stay with that in order to make administration equal across
> the room.

I would check out "Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall" (LEAF):
    "...continues to build on the work from the Linux Router Project
     (LRP) and derivative projects such as c0wz, EigerStein and Oxygen."
http://www.leaf-project.org/

Also, FREESCO (FREE ciSCO) "...is a free Linux-based distribution that
     will fit on a floppy. It's optimized to be used as a router."
http://www.freesco.info/

And of course, Vector Linux  "A small, fast, distribution for x86-
     compatible systems, based on Slackware. Includes small office/home
     applications as well as developer tools and server ..."
http://vectorlinux.com/

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA