[TriLUG] Looking for ISP Options to a specific region

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Thu Jan 29 18:01:06 EST 2009

Here's a question I think is relevant to the thread, but if not, I apologize - and any informative replies off-list would be appreciated:

I'm fortunate enough to have a fast Time-Warner cable connection and am hoping to move into Embarq DSL-land (no cable) within a few months.   Nicer house, less connectivity options.

The dry pair option is familiar, as are the line rate limits out of the DSLAM for folks "in the boonies", as I would be.

Has anyone heard of Embarq bonding several DSL circuits together to make a bigger pipe?
I can send packets round-robin to multiply the uplink speed, and if possible would also want Embarq to round-robin the downlink, e.g. four could net 6 down/1.5 up.

Having worked in the ISP world for a while, I know it's not difficult to do on most provider-side aggregation mux boxes - e.g. bonded T1s, so don't see a *technical* reason why they couldn't similarly bond together several DSL circuits.  It's the provisioning and maintenance of the configuration they may not to deal with.

Dave