[TriLUG] MythTV

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 11:54:33 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Shawn Hartsock <hartsock at acm.org> wrote:
> Thanks Tanner. My hardware is all from around 2004 or so and the main
> MythTV box is running on a dual PIII system with dual analog Haupauge
> (sic?) tuners. I like this product's specs. I may need to upgrade my
> MythTV box now. I really like how this thing can be put anywhere on my
> network so I could have the MythTV box in a different room.

If you're thinking about having the myth box in a different room, that's
fairly easy.  My current setup is a mythtv backend with 2 Hauppage
PVR 150 cards in it that sits in my computer closet.  I have front ends
configured on my Kubuntu desktop, my MacBook, my wife's MacBook,
and the XBox hooked up to one of our TVs.  Since mythtv is built by
default with a client server architecture, this is very simple to do (all
you really have to do is make sure that mysql isn't bound only to
localhost).

> And it works out of the box with no hacking or bodging about? FTW!

>From what I understand yes.  One of these days I'm going to get one.
I know several LUG members have them and have expressed
great delight in them.

Cheers,
Tanner

--