[TriLUG] StartSSL (was Re: CAcert meeting -- how to prepare)

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Mon Feb 9 19:07:40 EST 2009

You need to make sure that the certificate you get is a root
certificate I believe, it's possible to a SSL certificate that needs
what's called a "chaining certificate" in between.  I tried to find a
good explanation of this but didn't find one(didn't look real hard
either :) )  I just came across namecheap.com, and I believe they are
giving you a free ssl cert if you transfer a domain to them.
Otherwise it's an affordable $20 +-.  They piggy back off(resell) of
Rapid SSL who uses Geotrust which is in most browsers.   So for ~$20
you can have a Geotrust signed SSL certificate that is in most
browsers, or so I'm told.  I haven't gone this route yet myself, I
just found out about it yesterday

Matt P.