[TriLUG] 1234567890

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Feb 10 00:28:01 EST 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009 04:11:22 pm Ivan Panarusky wrote:
> Don't forget the year 2038 problem.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_Problem

I'd imagine that by 2030, let alone 2038, the equivalent of today's Intel 64x2
will cost a dime, in quantities, for embedded programmers to use.

As far as desktops/servers/thinclients, if even one percent of the population
is using 32 bit computers, OS's or software by 2030, our society has much
bigger problems than the 2038 year problem.

Here's the approximate CPU bits history as I remember it for commodity
personal computers:

1975: 8 bits
1984: 16 bits
1995: 32 bits
2004: 64 bits

I'm reasonably confident that by 2030 we'll have at least 128 bit CPUs, if not
256's. I'm reasonbly confident that 32 bit generic CPUs manufactured for use
in general purpose computers will have vanished from the planet.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US