[TriLUG] Stupid Router

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Sun Feb 15 12:10:52 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Ivan Panarusky <panaruskyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> While embeded devices are nice, I would prefer a small computer, that way I
> don't have to worry about bricking it.

If you follow the instructions provided by the firmware authors you
don't have to worry about bricking a WRT. Furthermore, even a
relatively low-powered PC is going to run at five or six times the
wattage of a WRT.

If you really, really want to get fancy, you could spend about $250 on
an ALIX and all the associated parts:

http://pcengines.ch/alix2d3.htm

If you've got a serial null modem, you don't have to worry about
bricking. Really though... just re-flash a WRT. It'll cost you about
$60 for the WRT and will give you an honest-to-goodness linux box that
draws about 5 Watts.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"The fun thing is to try to persuade others to share your opinions