[TriLUG] Debian on PowerMac G4

Brian Weaver cmdrclueless at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:52:10 EST 2009

Actually the server in question isn't my mail host in the sense you
guys are talking about. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that is
doing all the hard work of managing the e-mail for my domain. I just
take him out to bojangles once in a while thank him for the free mail
hosting; something that's well overdue at this point.

I basically use the server in question to forward outgoing mail to
Road Runner w/postfix, an IMAP server with DBMail, and to share family
pictures with Gallery.

I use fetchmail to pull down e-mail from multiple domains, spam
assassin to filter it some, and procmail to sort it into folders. IMAP
has been nice because I've been able to use mutt, thunderbird, or
apple mail on one or more machines as needed. I only have to configure
the sorting rules once in procmail and it propagates to any client I
use to read my mail.

It's a nuisance when it fails for me because I have to fix it. It's a
real pain for my wife because unlike myself she doesn't have half a
dozen accounts she can fall back to using when things go south.
Although it's becoming more critical for me since I use MediaWiki to
manage a lot of my own RPG content for a game that I run with a few
friends.

Moving to google wouldn't be much of a help for my general use case.
Besides, they can lose my data just as easily as I can; beside I can
find a way to mess it up with style. Also, I'm not keen on other
people managing my data and you probably give up certain legal rights
when you put it under another person/corporation's control.

On a plus side if I did move to google I could bitch more with less
management effort. That would be a plus don't you think Matt?

-- Brian

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Chess Griffin <chess at chessgriffin.com> wrote:
> * Dave Sorenson <dave at logicalgeek.com> [2009-02-23 15:02:40]:
>
>> I moved mine back to my servers after a couple of weeks of too much Ham
>> getting thrown in with Spam.  I was spending more time trolling the spam
>> folder than I liked. I'd move back if you could tweak or turn off the
>> spam filters more effectively.
>>

> I found Google's mail service terrible for my domain.  For me, Google's
> spam filtering was really not very good and their IMAP service was
> horribly buggy and very, very slow.
>
> Personally, I prefer to keep my email hosted with a good email provider,
> like Fastmail or Tuffmail.  Tuffmail's service rocks -- the owners are
> true unix-geeks and their spam filtering is second to none.
>
> --
> Chess Griffin

/* insert witty comment here */