[TriLUG] to all the TCL junkies

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Wed Mar 11 11:11:20 EDT 2009

A couple of things Greg

This is a fairly recent addition to IOS (the last 4 or 5 years I
believe) so its not surprising  that a 15 year veteran might not notice it.

The answer to your ssh question is NO. IOS only implements the TCL core.
Don't expect to do everything you can think of using extra libraries.
Thats not possible in IOS. For example, you can send HTTP get, but post
isn't available since that function is not part of core. You can't do
anything requiring UDP or any other more exotic protocol since all of
these things would require extra libraries not available to IOS.

Here is a tutorial page I've found useful
http://wiki.nil.com/Tclsh_on_Cisco_IOS_tutorial

Ryan