[TriLUG] LVM Experts

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Mar 12 14:09:17 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:43:56PM -0400, Steve Kuekes wrote:
> I need some LVM advice.  I had a system that was using lvm and the power
> supply failed.  I removed the hard drive to another machine.  How do I
> get access to the lvm volumes on the drive.  Since the old system failed
> I didn't do a vgexport so I apparently can't do a vgimport on the new
> system.

Not really an issue.

> To further complicate matters the volume group names are the
> same on the 2 systems, so I now have 2 drives labeled as the same volume
> group.

This is where it gets tricky.

However, by using a "rescue disk," you can access the system and rename
the volume group on one of the drives.  This is why I DO NOT use the
default if I can possibly help it.

Alternatively, if you have another machine ( don't we all have six
machines lying around that we can just randomly re-use for things? )
that either isn't using LVM or doesn't have the same volume group names,
you could use that in place of the rescue disk.

In any case, once you can identify the different drives separately, you
can relatively easily correct the situation.

Brian

Let me know if ( when ) you need details.

B-)