[TriLUG] LVM Experts

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Thu Mar 12 17:18:28 EDT 2009

Steve Kuekes wrote:
> I had to rename the volume group by UUID since I had 2 that were the
> same name.  Then after I rebooted, I could mount logical volumes inside
> the new renamed volume group.  (I probably didn't have to reboot, but I
> couldn't figure out what to do to get lvm refreshed).

Probably, the incantation would have looked something like:
   pvscan
   vgchange -a y

It's good to see that you managed to rename it by UUID -- If I ever end
up in this situation (as I have in the past), now I know what to look
for. For personal machines I started naming the VGs like the host they
originated on shortly after the aforementioned incident.

As to those who mentioned renaming the known VG, this can cause problems
if your root is on that VG since the name tends to end up hard-coded in
your initrd. Then again, it may just be redhat/fedora/rpath (the latter
of which being what I am actually familiar with, and loosely based on
the former).

-- m. tharp