[TriLUG] "IP Passthrough" and AT&T 1-Wire

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sun Mar 15 09:44:30 EDT 2009

I have been meaning to ask this for a little while, but haven't yet.

I have DSL from Bellsouth ( now AT&T ), and they gave me a Westell in
the last "refresh."  This has a very useful feature for me, where my
static IP is passed through to my OpenBSD firewall.  This may just be
"bridging," but doesn't quite fit my definition, since the modem is
still accessable from inside using a 192.168.. address.

About a month ago, I had one of their technicians out to do some testing
of the outside line, and after doing so, he suggested that perhaps the
Westell was getting "tired" and gave me their "extra special" 1-Wire
modem as a replacement.

Try as I might, I can't seem to find the proper combination of settings
to accomplish the same feat as the Westell's IP Passthrough.

Does anybody have any experience with these devices, and could guide me
through configuring it properly.  Otherwise, I have a perfectly good,
unused 1-Wire modem if somebody wants.

Thanks,
Brian