[TriLUG] "IP Passthrough" and AT&T 1-Wire

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:39:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:44, Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:

> I have DSL from Bellsouth ( now AT&T ), and they gave me a Westell in
> the last "refresh."  This has a very useful feature for me, where my
> static IP is passed through to my OpenBSD firewall.  This may just be
> "bridging," but doesn't quite fit my definition, since the modem is
> still accessable from inside using a 192.168.. address.
>
> About a month ago, I had one of their technicians out to do some testing
> of the outside line, and after doing so, he suggested that perhaps the
> Westell was getting "tired" and gave me their "extra special" 1-Wire
> modem as a replacement.
>
> Try as I might, I can't seem to find the proper combination of settings
> to accomplish the same feat as the Westell's IP Passthrough.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with these devices, and could guide me
> through configuring it properly.  Otherwise, I have a perfectly good,
> unused 1-Wire modem if somebody wants.

Do you mean "2-Wire"??  Never heard of 1-wire, and being that DSL needs at
least two wires,  you won't work very well with just one. :-)

Also, if it's a 3700 or 3800, I might be able to help.  I think the 3800's
are deployed as part of the Uverse installs.

  -Rob

P.S. I have used 2-Wire devices in the past, and they can be a bit finicky
about some things, especially 802.1x.  Also, last I heard, the Westell
modems were using the newest DSL chips which were supposed to have a lower
noise floor and such, which means less errors and longer reach for a fixed
bit rate, or higher bit rate for the same reach, as compared to the older
Thompson modems.