[TriLUG] permlinks or redirect management in Apache

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Wed Mar 18 14:53:38 EDT 2009

At 2:40pm -0400 on Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> Was that meant to be  "...a graceful restart for them"?  Would it still
> requires a full restart of Apache?   Hmmm.

Graceful restart is a full restart.  The difference is that it finishes
serving current requests before restarting.  It depends on your access
patterns whether you want to gracefully restart or just restart.

I've gotten used to working with Debian systems that have a reload
"functionality" in the scripts.  It's effectively this:

$ /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
 # script does configtest
 # if good, script executes a graceful restart

So it's the exact same thing behind the scenes as the current
suggestion, but would be one less step for non-admins to remember.  For
them, it's effectively atomic, which is a good thing, right?

Do Redhat systems have something similar?

Kevin