[TriLUG] [OT] motorcycles

Z-man czdrummer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:52:40 EDT 2009

Warren,
Best of luck with the bike you choose.  If you have not been on a bike
before I strongly urge you to look into one of the following safety
courses.

http://www.msf-usa.org/
http://www.motomark1.com/

Now about your question - A cruiser has less handling than other bikes
due to the elongated front fork rake.  As such, it can be a real
problem for cornering especially in tight corners.  But don't let that
fool you, that is also transferred to handling on the road when you
get into places like the mountains.
Sport bikes are fun, but not comfortable.
My personal pref is the sport tourer.  It provides both comfort and
much greater fun than the cruiser while not as much ability as the
sport bike.  A good example of an affordable is the V-strom but higher
priced are the Yamaha FJR1300, Honda ST1300, or the BMWs.

A good place to gain perspectives on all things biking is at
http://www.mcnews.com and join the free forum.

Enjoy, ride safely, and look out for the cagers cause they are not
looking out for you.