[TriLUG] permlinks or redirect management in Apache

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Apr 2 14:17:51 EDT 2009

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions.

We considered a number of possibilities.  Using Apache mod_rewrite with
the suggestion (below) to separate them from the base httpd.conf file
seemed like the best choice.  It should scale well into the hundreds
of links, from a manageability standpoint. If we needed to go beyond that,
we could split the one file into numerous of files, based on some sort
of categorization.  Other solutions certainly have their merits, but
were too heavyweight for what we needed (with the possible exception of
writing PHP scripts to re-map URLs).

Thanks again!
Chris

Greg Cox wrote:
>> 1) redirects in httpd.conf
>>   Works, but requires editing httpd.conf. I'd like to keep admins out of
>>   the loop, but don't really want anyone (me included) touching
>> httpd.conf
>>   unless necessary. It also requires an apache restart...also something I
>>   would like to avoid.
>
> How about you add:
>
> Include "/path/to/redirectsfile.conf"
>
> Lock the file down to root, then give them sudo to vi that file (hi
> audit trail)
> Then, whip up a script they can sudo call.
>
> Script needs to check the file (everything's either a comment
> or a RedirectPermanent, right?).  If pass, run a configtest.  If pass,
> script runs a graceful for them.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services