[TriLUG] bash weirdness

stan briggs stanbriggs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:21:03 EDT 2009

all,

the answer was simple but crude. eval and exec each had their own subtleties
and quirks. instead, i manually spawn my own bash sub-process and provide it
the line that i want executed as a command line parameter. like this:

line="dpkg -l > all-packages.txt"
/bin/bash -c "$line"

this did exactly what i wanted it to do.

any feedback on the cons of doing it this way would be greatly appreciated.

also, i never really got any explanation on any links that explained why the
redirections caused issues.

thanks to all,
stan

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Ron Young <ronyoung at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Stan,
> This worked on my system:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> #line="dpkg -l > all-packages.txt";
> # my system does not have dpkg installed
>

> line=`ls -ln > line.txt`;
> echo $line;
>
> exec $line;
>
> cat line.txt
>

> Ron Young
> 919-621-9015
>
> +++++++++++++++++++
> Little tiny dreams require little tiny thoughts and little tiny steps.
> Great big dreams require great big thoughts and little tiny steps.
> +++++++++++++++++++
>

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:45 PM, stan briggs <stan at stanbriggs.com> wrote:
>
> > all,
> >
> > i'm trying to get a series of commands to execute with a bash shell.
> > someting like this:
> > line="dpkg -l > all-packages.txt"
> > which i then try to execute with
> > $line
> > `$line`
> > output=`$line`.
> > none seem to execute the command. i'm guessing it has to do with the pipe
> > symbol and explains why similar commands with shell re-directs in them
> > fail,
> > also.
> >
> > can anyone point me to a good reference that explains this?
> >
> > thanks,
> > stan
> >
> > --
> > Stan B. Briggs
> > +1-919-414-9513
> > the oBoJ Foundation is the open source community coming together for the
> > benefit of society. our events and work are for the purpose of raising
> > awareness, raising funds, and performing activities for good causes.
> > participation is open to all who wish to support worthwhile public
> causes.
> > www.oBoJ.org

Stan B. Briggs
+1-919-414-9513