[TriLUG] Books for learning Python

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Apr 7 19:41:19 EDT 2009

On 4/7/2009 1:56 PM, Aaron Joyner wrote:
> I've heard great things about Dive Into Python, but I personally got up to
> speed w/ Python in a Nutshell.  This surprised me, as I generally dislike
> the Nutshell series, but this particular book (written by a co-worker, Alex
> Martelli), was actually fantastic for transitioning from years of Perl and
> ANSI C experience to Python in short order.

I second Python in a Nutshell for experienced programmers. You are
eventually going to have to read it anyway if you read some other Python
book. So may as well start there.

The only comprehensive alternative is David Beazley's Python Essential
Reference. Both that and Python in a Nutshell could be considered Python
reference manuals, which is what you need if you are an experienced
programmer.

Dive Into Python, while really great in its day, is so woefully out of
date that you will stall right in the middle of the book. In the middle
of the book all the examples are based on two public web services which
aren't available anymore. The book is arranged so that each chapter
builds on the code examples of the previous chapters. So the whole book
just stops working halfway through. A shame because the book was the
best at showing programming the Pythonic way.

Here are the recommendations from TriZPUG, which are not geared towards
the experienced programmer, but towards the Python philosophy of
"programming for everybody" instead:

http://trizpug.org/up-to-speed/

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530