[TriLUG] really OT: Re: [OT] Moving, stuff for sale/free

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Apr 7 21:15:24 EDT 2009

Both WUNC-TV and WUNC radio take vehicle donations.

When I did it (2005), you gave the car to an auction firm that sold the
car and gave the proceeds to the station. At the time, I could write off
the Blue Book value from my taxes. I also kept my Wake County assessment
around, since they thought the old junker was worth a lot more than I
thought it was worth.

The next year, they changed the tax laws so that you could not longer
claim the Blue Book or tax assessment value. Instead, you now have to
wait for the auction company to actually sell the car, and they will
provide you with a receipt, which you use to write off of your taxes.

Alan

.