[TriLUG] OOo, PDF and Lulu

Hugh Cayless hcayless at email.unc.edu
Mon Apr 13 09:39:36 EDT 2009

It would be worth trying to export to PDF/A, since that should, by
definition, embed all the fonts.  There's a checkbox for it on the PDF
export dialog in OOo 3.  The problem with the standard OOo PDF export
is that it doesn't embed the standard PDF fonts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf#Base_14_fonts
).  This is fine for viewers, since they're supposed to have those
available, but not for expensive and twitchy book-printers, which will
kick out (or screw up) PDFs without all the fonts embedded.

As a former Lulu, (and I'm certainly not speaking for them now) I will
just say that we always wanted to add OOo support, but the cost/
benefit of it was never justifiable.  That's likely still the case.
Sad, but true.

Hugh