[TriLUG] Web Ninja(Developer) Job near RDU

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Wed Apr 15 23:18:50 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> It doesn't apply to religious institutions, at least so far as the part
> about discriminating on the basis of religion.

I'm not seeing how being down with Big J "is a bona fide occupational
qualification reasonably necessary" to making a web page.  Maybe Web
2.0 is more complex than I knew.

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> It also doesn't apply to employers with fewer than 15 employees

Their website showed 10 people, of which OP's name wasn't listed.
It's a fair bet they're over; if not, well, that's at least 11, and
they're hiring so they're closing in on 15, while performing a
practice that's pretty sketch.

> Mr. Cox has apparently let his emotions cloud his judgment

No, Mr. Cox hasn't.

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together should be able to figure out
that if you're going to apply for a place called Marketing MINISTRIES
that you'd best be down with organized religion to even consider working
there.

That being said, when they come out and tell me that my difference in
religion is going to be a factor in a hiring decision, they're going
over the line, morally if not legally.

> I wish the OP the best of luck in filling the position and would
> like to apologize for the ugly reception here on this list.

Discriminatory practices are ugly.  If a Flying Spaghetti Monster
believer can do the job, can stand being an outsider, and doesn't
wreck office morale, there's no reason to deny them.

Look, anyone who's ever sat on either side of an interview table knows
you can win or lose an interview based on ANYTHING.  If I'm interviewing
you and having a bad day, and I don't like you because you're wearing
pleated pants or your tie stops 6" above your belt buckle, I can still
find something to gig you on technically to bounce you out of the
applicant pool (WHAT?  You're 18 and don't have 5 years experience
with Solaris 2.5.1?!?  GET OUT).  But at least you get an opportunity.
And while in the grand scheme of things, it's silly to waste time
interviewing someone who's not going to be a match, really, an
FSM fan isn't going to want to work there anyway.  So how many
applicants are you deterring by putting up an explicit sign to
keep the non-Christians away?

> Having said that, I would encourage the OP to make some statement
> about compliance with the law in future job postings to preëmptively
> close the door on accusations like those made by Mr. Cox.

As would I.  Simply say less.  Or ask for a cover letter.  You can
do that.  A smart applicant would take that opportunity to mention
how they're on board with your company's mission.