[TriLUG] Your State of Practice for Backups?

Shawn Hartsock hartsock at acm.org
Thu Apr 16 10:04:36 EDT 2009

We're reviewing our backup strategy for our Linux servers. My company
is running Ubuntu dapper on over 40 servers. Currently, our backup
system resembles this:
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2003/03/06/nfs_backup.html
... but I'm curious what are other shops doing? How do you handle
this? And, how would your advice change if I told you that we're
expecting to double the number of servers in the next 12 months?

BTW: average size of a full backup of one of these servers is around
4.8G and we're likely to only maintain 1G of salient differences
between the various servers as each server is custom configured and
installed per client.

--
/** Shawn.Hartsock  //*/