[TriLUG] Web Ninja(Developer) Job near RDU

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Apr 16 14:12:06 EDT 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009 08:59:18 am Paul McLanahan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Lee Fickenscher <elfick at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fair warning as far as I'm concerned. I'm "non-religious" and I didn't
> > take offense to this post nor did I feel like if I was otherwise
> > qualified I would be discriminated against for not being religious. I
> > would even gladly accept this job as long as I didn't feel I was having
> > religion shoved down my throat.
>
> I understand your position, but respectfully disagree. As a web
> developer, and one qualified on every point (including twitter), and
> one who would have applied were it not for the "Big J" warning, I
> honestly do feel that I would be discriminated against there and will
> not be applying. I'm not utterly offended as I don't believe that it
> would be company policy or an organized effort, but my experience with
> this type of organization (and by that I mean passionate about a
> single subject, not just religious), is that you need to be on board,
> or you will be very lonely and ineffective. I really wish the job was
> at a different place though, it sounds perfect for me otherwise.
>
> Paul

This is just me, but if I were advertising a job where the prospective
employee "should love Jesus", I'd post it in all the local churches of
compatible denomination, not on a LUG list. It's pretty safe to assume that
any LUG member who loves Jesus participates heavily in a local church, so why
unnecessarily involve the non-Jesus-loving members of the LUG?

The other thing, and this is just me, your mileage may vary, is that the
United States has been formed as a melting pot. We're all immigrants except
the Native Americans (iow American Indians). Although the first amendment in
no way prohibits job posts like this one, the first amendment sets a certain
tone that I'd personally like to see preserved.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US