[TriLUG] Your State of Practice for Backups?

Stephen Joyce stephen at physics.unc.edu
Thu Apr 16 21:05:19 EDT 2009

Shawn,

Check out BackupPC: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ . I've been using it
for about 3 years and am relatively happy with it.

It scales pretty well, performs deduplication and compression, is capable
of exponential expiry for full backups, and is open source.

To give you an idea of the benefits of dedupe and compression, the
number of servers I have is similar to yours but deduplication and
compression means my backups take only ~12% of the space they normally
would. YMMV depending on how many fulls and incrementals you keep and how
big your daily delta is.

Fair warning though: to get decent backup throughput, you need something
fairly beefy for your backup server. BackupPC computes checksums of files
for deduplication, so cpu, memory, and disks are taxed.

Cheers,
Stephen