[TriLUG] Your State of Practice for Backups?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sat Apr 18 09:31:39 EDT 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Friday 17 April 2009 04:47:20 pm Ivan Panarusky wrote:
>> My backup plan?
>>
>> tar /home /tmp/backup.tar
>> bzip /tmp/backup.tar
>> mv /tmp/backup.tar.bz2 /mnt/Volume_1
>
> Here's what I've been doing:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200609/200609.htm
>
> STeveT

Steve you should look at rsnapshot, it seems it would combine your
rsync/hardlink steps into one.  Rsnapshot is nice but it's a pull
model not a push.  I had to trick rsnapshot a bit by putting another
uid 0 user on some of my boxes that I wanted to do full system
backups.  I also used keychain with ssh keys, to make life easier.   I
tried rdiff-backup, but I didn't like my backups being indexed as meta
data.  I'm not a big fan of backup systems that index the backups as
meta data or in databases.  I've had too many times that either has
been corrupted, which prevented restoration.  I like rsnapshot or
Amanda because the data is able to be restored without the program
that did the backup.  Amanda didn't used to be able to do disk to disk
backup, but I believe it can now.  BackupPC seems to be the best
option if you want one program that can handle multiple platforms.

Matt P.