[TriLUG] Your State of Practice for Backups?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sat Apr 18 18:08:24 EDT 2009

> How does backuppc handle the windoze registry?  Or does it?

It backs up files that it has permissions to back up. On Windows
systems, the backup is NOT suitable for restoring an entire image. The
registry (and I think open Outlook mailboxes) are not copied. When we
used it at "the oven place", we took that into account -- if we restored
a Windows machine, we knew we would have to reinstall and then copy the
"good bits" from BackupPC. For Linux, the backup is suitable for total
system restoration.

Alan