[TriLUG] Your State of Practice for Backups?

Stephen Joyce stephen at physics.unc.edu
Sat Apr 18 22:02:33 EDT 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Alan Porter wrote:

>> How does backuppc handle the windoze registry?  Or does it?
>>

> It backs up files that it has permissions to back up. On Windows systems, the
> backup is NOT suitable for restoring an entire image. The registry (and I
> think open Outlook mailboxes) are not copied. When we used it at "the oven
> place", we took that into account -- if we restored a Windows machine, we
> knew we would have to reinstall and then copy the "good bits" from BackupPC.
> For Linux, the backup is suitable for total system restoration.
>
> Alan

There's a user-contributed script which uses Windows VSS to backup open
files. That may be good enough if you realize that Windows benefits
from periodic reinstalls anyway.

A VSS backup is still not suitable to attempt a bare-metal recovery, but
you should get a semi-sane copy of open files (like Outlook pst files, if
you insist on using Outlook). Check out the BackupPC wiki for more info
about it (I'm in front of an ancient Sun box with a pitifully old version
of Mozilla, or I'd send you the exact URL. But it's pretty easy to find via
google.)

For a true bare-metal restore of Windows, you want to perform an ASR
backup, which uses VSS to get open files but also backs up the system state
(including the registry and AD on DCs). When you boot your normal Windows
install media (XP, 2003, and newer), there's an option to perform an ASR
restoration.

You can use Ntbackup to dump ASR images to tape or a file on disk, which
can then be snagged by a backup program of your choosing. Of course it's
going to be roughly as large as C since the ASR backup is a single file.
You lose the benefits of deduplication if you use BackupPC or any of the
similar apps to backup the ASR image. You may still benefit from
compression though.

Hth.

Cheers, Stephen