[TriLUG] This is not good

Shawn Hartsock hartsock at acm.org
Tue Apr 21 08:28:55 EDT 2009

So far the dominant concerns seem to be over MySQL, NetBeans, and GlassFish.

Java is fully Open Source now (or really really close thanks to iced
tea according to the buzz on the TriJUG list) which means Java is
probably "safe" and it sounds like there is a large enough community
between IBM, RedHat, and other big players that if Oracle pulled
something really drastic that left the rest of community behind we
would see a Java fork. In fact you might interpret the version of Java
in the Google App Engine as the first major fork of Java (that
intentionally deviates from the defacto standard).

The reason folks are concerned about MySQL is obviously because Oracle
has its own DB.

The reason folks are concerned about NetBeans is that Oracle has JBuilder.

The reason folks are concerned about GlassFish is that Oracle has its
own Application Server.

Each is technology is open sourced meaning that if enough people have
sour grapes over something Oracle does they can fork it. Obviously the
best thing to do is to keep the community together. But...

/** Shawn.Hartsock http://hartsock.blogspot.com/  //*/