[TriLUG] what is blocking a website in winxp?

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Tue Apr 21 15:52:34 EDT 2009

All,

A friend of mine has a winxp-home pc with sp-3 installed. Using any of
3 browsers, ( opera, IE6, firefox ), she cannot go to one website that
she used to visit regularly. She receives a timeout. I can hook my
laptop into her network and using any browser on either winxp or
ubuntu, I can access the website with no problem.

>From her winxp, I can ping the site and do a tracert to the site with
no problem.

I can disable her norton anti-virus and windows firewall and there is
no change. There are no entries in restricted areas of ie, no entries
in hosts file.

I have even tried to use the system restore, but system restore is
always incomplete -- no changes.

What am I missing?

The website is http://www.healthjobsusa.com  ( she is looking for a
nursing job and needs to connect ).

If I don't have a solution soon, I guess I can always install ubuntu
as a dual boot so she can get to the site --

--
Jc Jones
Blogs -

webmaster for: