[TriLUG] what is blocking a website in winxp?

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Tue Apr 21 20:09:37 EDT 2009

Source               	Suggestion	result	other comments
Glenn Hennessee	is it spyware?		still to determine ( std )
Glenn Hennessee	Can you ping the site	using her pc, I can ping the
site 	dns provides correct ip address for the website when pinging –
confirmed ip address by using dig on my linux laptop
Glenn Hennessee	telnet to port 80 on the site		std
Sean Leinart 	Any differences in the DNS Servers that either system is
using?		std
Neil L. Little	how about a different dns server like opendns or
4.1.1.1		refer to above ping comments
Neil L. Little	.NSLOOKUP
Carl Crider	Have you checked the HOSTS file?	confirmed that hosts file
exists without any additions that may block any site	Also searched the
system for hidden hosts file
Carl Crider	Clean the machine ASAP.	I have done several norton scans	Suggestion