[TriLUG] what is blocking a website in winxp?

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Thu Apr 23 01:15:16 EDT 2009

Patrick and all,

I have used a guest account on the same box. It provides the same results.

Here is my results from today's activities.
1. checked for malware with spybot-S&D .. Plenty of "problems" but
when all problems were removed, the block website still existed as
blocked.
2. Used autoruns, process explorer to find any unusual startups -- none found
2. The day before I had inserted a knoppix cd in the machine and
booted to it. I could reach the website from konqueror within knoppix.
Based on this, I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on her pc today. THE BLOCKED
WEBSITE WAS STILL BLOCKED when using firefox on ubuntu.
Note: I again inserted the knoppix cd and booted to it and COULD
access the website -- no blocking!!!

The internet service provider is road runner and the cable modem/wifi
router is a Netgear model number cg814wg. I don't see any place in
it's administration for blocking external ip addresses and no firewall
on the router.

I am nearing the point of blowing winxp away and re-installing,
something I don't like to do. It means that I haven't found the
problem.

Perplexed -- jc jones

On 4/22/09, Patrick Brewer <patwbrewer at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  While I would first expect malware, I have had heard of issues similar that are resolved by blowing away the browser config.  A simple test for that would be to create a new user or try to connect from a guest account if one exists on the box.
>

>  --

Jc Jones
Blogs -
http://www.wendellgeek.com/weblog/