[TriLUG] what is blocking a website in winxp?

Chris Knowles cknowles2112 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 08:17:29 EDT 2009

Hmm... reading the manuals for the CG814WG (which appears to be comcast
only??) and the related CG814M, they both claim to have a firewall inside of
them, specifically in the CG814M there's a section on "Filtering" in the web
interface including a "block sites" section.

I can't find any screenshots of the web interface for the CG814WG.

Only two thoughts...

1) re-check to make sure that any filtering options are turned off.  You
might even reset the netgear to factory defaults.  (If the password is still
default, there's a chance you've got someone mucking with teh settings)

2) What is the IP address of the computer when you are in windows, ubuntu,
and knoppix.  Theoretically, with most DHCP servers, they should be the
same, but is the address is shifting, and whatever rules are in the router,
that could explain why it works in one and not the others.

Good luck.  These kind of problems can cause premature graying.

CJK